- Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que is coming to Downtown Austin where they aim to become the Hopdoddy of barbecue.
- Jimmy Kimmel came to Austin, and he loved the food – especially the BBQ.
- Stephen Naron had an epic barbecue trip through Austin which he entitled #BBQPalooza2014. Here’s his recap.
- A meme we can get behind:
— Craig (@BigGreenCraig) March 19, 2014
- The James Beard award nominations were announced. The cookbook Smoke by Tim Byres of Smoke restaurant in Dallas was nominated, and so was Alison Cook of the Houston Chronicle based partly on her review of Corkscrew BBQ in Spring.
- A look at different barbecue traditions around the world.
- The Southern Foodways Alliance on boudin.
- The Salt Lick has a new sandwich on the menu:
— Salt Lick BBQ (@SaltLickBBQ) March 14, 2014
- The Dallas Morning News reviews 3 Stacks Smoke & Tap House in Frisco.
- The Smoking Ho wasn’t impressed with Uncle Billy’s Brew & Cue in Austin.
- Gavin Cleaver of the Dallas Observer went to the Woodshed in Fort Worth for some of their lamb brisket. He did not leave disappointed.
- EZ Dude BBQ will open in the Deep Ellum neighborhood of Dallas.
- Anthropomorphic Cannibalistic Swine:
— Alan Mercer (@amphotos) March 13, 2014
- Thrillist talks about Big Red while mentioning how well it goes with Texas barbacoa.
- What a headline: “Detecting Fat Content of Food from a Distance: Olfactory-Based Fat Discrimination in Humans”
- The link between saturated fat consumption and heart attacks isn’t so clear after this study.
- The Oliver Francis Gallery is showing an exhibition from Ludwig Schwarz. At least one of the sculptures features a barbecue smoker.
- Desiree Robinson of Memphis’s Cozy Corner shares her memories of family barbecues:
- The Big D BBQ Battle is coming to Dallas on 4/24. You can sign up here if you you want to compete.
- There is a Texas BBQ TV show. It is called BBQ Texas TV Show, and it focuses on competition barbecue in the Lone Star State.
- Garden & Gun is doing a tournament bracket for small Southern towns. Lockhart, the BBQ Capital of Texas, needs your vote.
- The tournament brackets are everywhere. The Dallas Morning News is pitting restaurants against one another, and Pecan Lodge faces Hutchins BBQ in the first round.
- There’s also an Alabama BBQ bracket.
- Please remove “Texas BBQ” from this label:
- There’s a friendly barbecue competition coming to Houston. A few chefs will battle at the Houston International Festival on May 1st.
- The Houston BBQ Festival will have some special guests. Wayne Mueller of Louie Mueller Barbecue in Taylor and John Avila of Morgan’s Texas Barbecue in New York are bringing their meat to the festivities.
- Franklin Barbecue in Austin is profiled in the Oregonian newspaper.
- Vegan barbecue in Austin? Here’s BBQ Revolution:
- BBQ Pitmasters is back for another season. This one starts on 4/12.
- A barbecue smoker caused an apartment fire in Topeka, Kansas.
- Jack’s BBQ, a Texas style barbecue joint in Seattle, will open in June or July.
- The pit room at Scott’s BBQ in Hemingway, South Carolina was destroyed by fire last year, but the rebuilding is about to begin.
- Mike Sula wasn’t a fan of a new Chicago-area barbecue joint in this entertaining review. “You have to approach this menu like a crime scene—gingerly, deliberately, and without stepping in anything messy.”
- The numbers from a record day at Kreuz Market:
@BBQsnob 40 clods 110 briskets 100 racks of pork ribs 20 racks of beef ribs 2 whole prime rib and 4 whole turkey breasts and 4 hams
— Roy perez (@Pitmasterkreuz) March 17, 2014
- There’s a recall on the Garlic Chili Pepper flavor of Krave beef jerky.
- Expect pork prices to shoot up, at least in the near term, thanks to PEDv.
- Both pork and beef are already seeing record high prices.
- A South Carolina boy sees the light in Texas:
— Jed Portman (@jdportman) March 16, 2014